Thursday, June 04, 2015

The Last Post.

Ten years ago today I wrote the first entry of this blog in a Christchurch flat in Avonhead and now a decade later, because I’m a nostalgia nerd, I’m writing the final entry. I’m not sure what to write or who will read this, so I figured I’d just look back at the past decade of my life. The good and the bad… So since June 4, 2005 this happened: I moved to Christchurch, lead youth groups, attended four Easter Camps as a youth leader, I have written a bunch of songs, I've been paid to act, work in wrestling and play my own music. In 2006, my friend Richard McIntosh died of cancer in February, my childhood friend Saul Whaangaa committed suicide later in the year and on October 24, 2006 my Dad Ron died and I held his hand as he slipped away. I've tramped and drunken hot Raro after sitting in natural hot pools on the Copland track. In 2005 I attended my first and only ball, with a Narnian theme, I've lived with friends, family, strangers and alone. I’ve lost friends I thought I’d have for life, I've told the truth and I’ve lied. I’ve given and I’ve stolen. I’ve broken promises and hurt people I loved. I've been kind and I’ve been cruel. I’ve felt the comfort of believing I belonged in a community of faith and the cold, empty, crushing feeling of being excommunicated. I’ve walked away from the church and lost my faith. I’ve played a lot off video games and watched a lot of movies to distract me from the loneliness I was dwelling in and in doing so, I’ve rediscovered my passions and embraced them fully, forging exactly the career I want. That’s a miracle! I’ve risen buses, trains planes and boats. I’ve seen the Foo Fighters twice and Green Day once. I’ve trashed a drum set onstage. I’ve been praised and vilified, often by myself. I’ve attended numerous counseling sessions and taken thousands of pills. I’ve eaten too much junk and not paid rent. I’ve walked streets in small towns and big cities until the early hours of the morning listening to music in my headphones trying o find escapism and optimism. I’ve been branded a weirdo. I’ve been called manipulative, inspiring, abusive, selfish, funny, talented, pathetic, gay, caring, self-centered and told I only care about myself. I’ve fallen in love. I’ve laid next to someone and begged God to let this be the one. I feel embarrassed writing a lot of this stuff. I’ve longed for an idealized version of the past and blamed everyone else for my problems. I’ve signed up to Bebo and Facebook. I’ve nervously avoided certain people’s accounts, knowing it would do me no good looking at it. And I’ve looked. I’ve watched people grow up and become adults, get married and have kids. I’ve had those clichéd nights, days and summers that you remember the rest of your life. I had an intense relationship that I thought I wouldn’t be able to live without. But I did. In 2007 I walked out of church as a preacher told the congregation that if you believe in God enough that bad things won’t happen to you. 24 hours after my friends and I were in a serious car crash. I’ve been kicked out of flats for not paying rent. I still don’t know why I didn’t just pay. I sat in a bathtub in my flat days after my 24th birthday and seriously considered suicide after being told to leave another flat. But I kept going. I moved in with my Mum again. It was ultimately for the best. I wrote and dreamt a lot. I was diagnosed clinically depressed. I stopped taking pills. It worked. I learnt family secrets. In 2010, I took drama classes and made temporary friends. It wasn’t meant to be. In 2011, I had my first real professional acting gig, a four week tour. 2011 was like a greatest hits year… In October I auditioned for drama school, right before as girl named Victoria. I’ve been dating her since 2012. After a roller coaster three years, I graduated in 2015 with a Drama degree. That still blows my mind. I’ve made movies and starred in movies, I even have an IMDB profile! Ha! Mad! I hang out with and receive mentorship and guidance from Jonathan King and just directed Cori Gonzalez-Macuer and Ben Fransham in a short film! I’m going to make my own feature film and an album. Despite everything, or maybe because of everything… This screwup is living his dream. And with that, I officially post my final entry for the decade upon this blog. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end. :P There Is Nothing Left To Lose. 04/06/2005 – 04/06/2015

2 Comments:

At 6/05/2015 08:25:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

AJ,

Beautiful final post. Ten years is a long time, and a lot of things have happened over the years. Searching, finding, losing - ideas, beliefs, friends, happiness, ourselves. It's difficult to be reflective, introspective, as there can be a lot of bitterness and hurt contained in the memories of the past... I find it can be a real challenge to look back at the journey, as it shows me how much I'm living from day to day, no real plan or purpose, as you just can't tell what life will bring or how you'll respond to what it does bring. And that sense of how ourselves and our ideas can change so much over time, that a former self can seem like an alien being! And, therefore, being conscious of not trying too hard as it all changes so much anyway...

I'm really pleased to hear that you feel happy with the direction your life is taking, and that there are some great opportunities before you. I wonder how much of being happier comes from just being older and more worldly wise (eugh, such a trite phrase), and that general feeling of not giving a shit. In younger days I seemed to feel things more keenly, to experience greater happiness and, of course, deeper sadness and despair. Now I just think "oh well, whatever" and I tend to avoid the deep introspection that I indulged in in my early 20s, as it only leaves me feeling melancholic and somewhat disenfranchised with the system of life :D

God, that sounds depressing. Blogging does that to a person... all that introspection and deep brain things. Anyway, I'm pleased that you're finding direction and good people and experiencing success :) Sometimes, at 20 I wondered if any of us were ever going to make it to 30. Most of us have. And most of us are "happier" (however arbitrary that notion is) now than we were then, and at many points of the journey. One thing I do miss, however, is that grand sense of community we had when we were younger. A feeling of all being in it together, however lonely, depressed, or isolated we felt, there were still other people around if you wanted company. When you get older, people tend to stick to themselves and their families and conversations consist more of "My baby had blue poo yesterday" or "Did you see that what Taylor Swift did last week?" than "Do you think there is much merit to the marxist-leninist system?" or "Why do you think people stick so strongly to the substitution theory?" or "Why do I feel so shit today?" Now we all live our own lives and noone really seems to stop and talk.

Hope to see you next time you're down in Chch :)

(I was going to comment as 'Stan', but it wouldn't let me :D ) (And also I haven't quoted nearly enough Sara Groves lyrics...)

 
At 6/25/2015 10:28:00 PM, Blogger AJ said...

I just saw your comment. I'm glad you wrote it. It seems fitting. :) Sorry you couldn't post as Stan! I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of your words. I wish we'd stayed closer back in the day but I'm glad we're at least internet buds now. We'll have to catch up as soon as we're in the same place. :)

And if I can be overly sincere; You're honestly one of the best people I've ever known.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home